“If we could shrink the Earth to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, there would be:
– 57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 8 Africans and 14 from North and South America.
– 52 would be female and 48 male.
– 70 would be non-Christian and 30 Christian.
– 70 would be non-white and 30 white.
– 6 would possess 59% of the world’s wealth and would be from North America.
– 80 would live in substandard housing.
– 70 would be unable to read.
– 50 would suffer from malnutrition.
– 1 would have a college education.
– 1 would own a computer.
…If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of the world…if you have money in the bank, in your wallet and some spare change lying around, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.”
An excerpt from The Holistic Manifesto by William Bloom
With thanks to Alan McSmith for drawing my attention to it on his blog